Introduction; Personal Experience

After putting together this blog for my class Just 315J Poverty and Homelessness at NEIU I have become more sensitive while watching, pictures, statistics I’ve realized how serious and important is to fight poverty, hunger and homelessness. I guess I feel more compassion and sympathize with those that are unfortunate to be in such bad spot. On the other hand, I have to admit I understand and can relate to poor people in some ways, I too have experience poverty in some level. Sixteen years ago, I can remember being a ten years old child who didn’t know anything about life. Having both parents struggling to provide the basic means. Trying to settle down in a stable home but I guess the conditions and the situation at that time didn’t allowed me and my family to do it. Waking up and not knowing if there is enough money to put in the table for a family of seven, etc. So I know what is like to be poor. Fortunately the luck of me and my family changed for good after a short period of time and those bad memories are in the past. Now I’m a grown adult and I see life differently and I learned how to appreciate things in life. I hope this blog help my audience and my class to obtain a better understanding of why and how individuals in the society are force to live in this deprived conditions, inside an invisible support system. We all are vulnerable and can be victims social inequality. We society need to learn how to overcome poverty, prevent and help those that need form us.


Music

Powered by eSnips.com

Poverty in Chicago

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

Make Poverty History - Bono


Hunger Action Event with Chicago Food Depository





Poverty Definition

My definition of poverty is when a person or community is in a bad economic situation where is deprived or lack the essentials meas such as such as house, education,clean water, food, health care, clothing


The changing face of poverty

Millions of Americans live in poverty, more families are suffering and hunger is seen growing. According to the most recent Census Bureau statistics, nearly 36 million Americans lived in poverty in 2003, an increase of 1.3 million from 2002. And since 2000, 4.4 million more people in this country are living in poverty.


According to Jared Bernstein, a labor economist the U.S is facing one of the worst economic situation and we have to acknowledge that those that have money become richer and richer every day and the disparities between poor and rich are astounding, there is few that falls in the middle class and what is left is either poor or rich.


Finally, Fear and hunger walk hand in hand with poverty, and last year 12.6 million American households -- 11.2 percent of all American homes -- were afraid they might not be able to put enough food on the table, according to the Census Bureau. That's up more than 1.6 million households from the year 2000.


Author; Octavio Blanco CNN
Title; The changinf face of poverty
Date of publication December 30, 2009
CNNMONEY.COM

Chicago homeless crisis worsens with budget cuts, mass foreclosures

According to the wsws.org due to the crisis the country is facing the number of homeless people has increased dramatically in the Chicago area and the suburbs in the past moths. The Chicago Coalition for homeless estimates that “21,000 people are on the street on any given night.” So this recession is not only affecting those with homes and jobs in fact are increasing the number of poor and homeless people.

For 2010, the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimates that homelessness is expected to grow based on rising unemployment and increased rental market competition due to foreclosures: 4.5-6.3 million if unemployment reaches 9 percent. This would represent an increase of about 900,000-1.1 million families.

Author; Kristina Betinis
Title; Chicago homeless crisis worsens with budget cuts, mass foreclosures.
Date of publication; 21 December 2009
WORLD SOCIAIST WEB SITE

Saturday, April 3, 2010

8. EXTRA CREDIT - NATIONAL RUNAWAY SWITCHBOARD


The first request of the speaker was to put our wallets or cell phones on the tables; I could notice that many classmates were wondering what the hell is she talking about? After we did it, she asked us to exchange our items with the student next to us which made me really uncomfortable. I don’t let anyone look through my personal stuff but I guess I had to do it in this exercise. Later, the speaker explained to us that the reason she did this exercise was to make us think about feeling that kids who run away from home go through when they are in shelters or in the streets. I found this an interesting exercise and very challenging. Later, she started to ask the class what we thought were the reasons and causes for young kids to run away from home among this causes we said that the reason could be peer pressure, poverty, pregnancy, abused, family conflicts, etc. And some of the consequences of running away can led kids to suicide, murder, drug addiction pregnancy, etc. these facts never crossed my mind, is almost taboo for me since I’m pretty new to the subject of kids running away from home. I would think that many American families live well with their children and protected them from this to happen. But in this information session I learned I was wrong kids run away from home everyday. Later on, the speaker showed us an interesting film where kids were interviewed on the streets about their reason why they run away and how the dealt with the situation. I found this film very interesting and most of it was filmed in Chicago.
The guest speaker from the National Runaway Switchboard shared some important and shocking information. I didn’t have the minimal idea that the percentage of total youth runaway is 57% which includes youth in crisis, homeless, throwaway, suspected missing, etc. What was really surprising to me was that in 2006 youth who call the runway hotline was between 12 yrs old and 21 yrs old. I can’t imagine what is like being 12yrs old and runway from home and living on the streets of a busy and metropolitan city. Another statistic that impacted me was that according to the National Runaway switchboard call data report stated that 72% of people who called was female and males only 28%. I also learned that between 1.6 and 2.8 million of kids run away from home each year. That’s a huge and outrageous number that I find hard to believe since I have never had the experience of knowing any runaway kid in Chicago streets or across the country. I would think that is more likely to happen in 3dr world countries which I have experience. But I guess it happens more often here in the U.S. overall this was a good information session that I’m sure it created awareness in the class and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment